Puerto Vallarta is one of the most popular resorts on Mexico’s Pacific coast, attracting tourists with its famous beaches, interesting sights and a variety of vacation opportunities. In this article, we’ll cover five steps to help you plan the perfect Puerto Vallarta vacation.
How to get to Puerto Vallarta
The first step toward a perfect Puerto Vallarta vacation is to choose the most convenient and affordable way to get to the city. There are several ways to get there:
- Airplanes. Planes are the fastest and most convenient way to get to Puerto Vallarta. The city is home to an international airport where many airlines from around the world fly in. You can also easily get to the city from anywhere in Mexico using local airlines. Ticket prices vary depending on the season, but you can often find cheap promotional tickets. For a more economical trip, you can choose to transfer in Mexico City or another city in Mexico, but note that this may take extra time.
- Buses. Buses are a more affordable and cheaper option to get to Puerto Vallarta. There are many bus companies in Mexico that offer flights to the city. Ticket prices depend on the type of bus, its comfort level, and the distance to the city. However, note that it takes longer to travel by bus than by plane.
- Rail transport. Rail transport is a rare transportation option to Puerto Vallarta, but it can be an interesting and unusual way to travel. There is a small train station in town from which you can travel by train along Mexico’s scenic coastline.
- Car. Renting a car gives you the freedom to travel and explore Mexico in your own car. There are many companies in Puerto Vallarta that offer car rentals for all tastes and wallets. However, you need to consider the intricacies of traffic in Mexico, such as narrow streets and traffic jams during rush hours.
Where to stay in Puerto Vallarta
The second step on the road to the perfect Puerto Vallarta vacation is choosing where to stay. The city has many lodging options, ranging from luxury resorts and hotels to more democratic options such as apartments and beachfront homes.
- Resorts and Hotels. Puerto Vallarta is known for its luxury resorts and hotels that offer a wide range of services and activities. These places often have restaurants, spas, pools, and beach areas. They are also often in beautiful locations with scenic ocean or mountain views. However, the cost of such options can be quite high.
- Apartments and houses on the beach. This accommodation option is preferred by those who want a more independent and economical vacation. In Puerto Vallarta there are many apartments and houses on the beach, which can be rented for short or long term. These options offer guests the opportunity to cook their own meals and save on the costs of dining out. Most of these options are located on the front line of the beach, allowing you to enjoy the beautiful views and sounds of the ocean.
- Hostels and guest houses. For those who want a more affordable accommodation option, you can choose hostels and guest houses. Puerto Vallarta has many of these places where you can rent a bed or a room. Prices for such accommodation options can be very democratic, but you should keep in mind that the living conditions may be modest and not always meet expectations.
- Renting a villa. For those who want to spend a vacation with a large group of friends or family, you can choose to rent a villa. In Puerto Vallarta, there are many villa rentals available for short or long term rentals. Villas provide guests with private space, a pool, a kitchen, and many other amenities.
What to see and do in Puerto Vallarta
The third step toward a perfect vacation in Puerto Vallarta is to plan your leisure time in the city. From beach parties to tours of colonial architecture, there are plenty of attractions and places to enjoy.
- Beaches. Puerto Vallarta is famous for its beautiful and clean beaches, which offer excellent recreational facilities. Some of the beaches are public, where you can rent sun loungers and umbrellas, and try various water sports such as surfing, kitesurfing and diving. Other beaches are inside resorts and hotels and may be accessible only to guests.
- Colonial architecture. The city retains many colonial-style buildings that date back to the Spanish colonization of Mexico. Buildings such as the New Vallarta Church, City Hall and Plaza de Armas are popular places for tours and photo shoots. You can also go for a walk through the ancient streets and learn more about the city’s cultural heritage.
- Excursions to nature preserves. There are several nature preserves and parks around Puerto Vallarta where you can spend time outdoors and enjoy beautiful views of the mountains and ocean. Some of the popular places to visit are Marieta National Park, where you can swim with dolphins and try snorkeling. The Vallarta Botanical Gardens, where you can see a variety of plants and flowers.
- Shopping. Puerto Vallarta has many stores and markets where you can buy souvenirs, clothes, jewelry and many other products. One of the most popular markets is the local market, which is located in the town center. At the market you can buy local products, handicrafts, souvenirs and much more. Also worth checking out is the La Isla shopping center, where you can find many well-known brands, as well as restaurants and movie theaters.
- Water parks and water parks. There are several water parks and water parks, such as Aquaventuras Park and Splash Water Park, for those who like to be active and have fun. These parks offer a variety of water slides, pools and other activities for children and adults.
- Visit the zoo. Puerto Vallarta is home to a zoo with many exotic animals such as tigers, lions, monkeys, crocodiles and many others. Visiting the zoo is a great way to spend time with your family and learn more about the local fauna.
Where to eat in Puerto Vallarta
The fourth step on the road to a perfect vacation in Puerto Vallarta is choosing where to eat. There are many restaurants, cafes and bars in the city that offer a variety of cuisines and dishes. Below are some of the most popular places to eat in Puerto Vallarta.
- Pipi’s Café restaurant. This is one of the most popular places in the city, which is famous for its Mexican food and cozy atmosphere. It is recommended to try the local specialty, fajitas, here.
- Restaurant “La Palapa”. This restaurant is located on the first line of the beach and offers a variety of Mexican and international cuisine. It is recommended to order seafood dishes and try the famous Mexican cocktail – margaritas.
- Cafe des Artistes restaurant. This restaurant is considered one of the best in the city and offers high quality French cuisine. It is recommended to order a tasting menu to try different dishes and desserts.
- The Swedes Cafe. This cafe is located in the center of the city and offers Swedish cuisine. Here you can try meat dishes, fish, salads and other Swedish dishes.
- Mariscos Tino’s Restaurant. This restaurant specializes in seafood and offers fresh oysters, shrimp, mussels and other types of seafood. The “Tostadas” dish with guacamole and seafood is recommended.
- The Red Cabbage Bar. This bar is located in the city center and offers a large selection of cocktails and drinks. We recommend ordering a margarita to try the famous Mexican cocktail.
How to get the most out of your Puerto Vallarta vacation
To get the most out of your Puerto Vallarta vacation, follow these tips:
- Plan ahead. Think ahead about what attractions and activities you want to visit, and book your tickets in advance to avoid lines and disappointment.
- Explore the local cuisine. Puerto Vallarta offers a wide variety of local foods and drinks to try. Explore local markets and restaurants to discover new tastes and flavors.
- Don’t forget about safety. As in any other city, take precautions and don’t leave things unattended. Avoid walking alone at night and follow the advice of locals.
- Enjoy the beaches and nature. Puerto Vallarta is famous for its beautiful beaches and nature. Don’t miss the opportunity to swim in the ocean, do water sports or go for a hike in the forests and mountains around the city.
- Purchase souvenirs. Puerto Vallarta offers many souvenirs and handicrafts available in local markets and stores. Don’t forget to buy small gifts for yourself and your loved ones to keep the memory of your vacation in this beautiful city alive.
Be open to new experiences and enjoy every moment of your vacation in Puerto Vallarta!
Budget and Finance
Puerto Vallarta is a city that can cater to tourists with different budgets. The cost of hotels, restaurants and entertainment can vary greatly, so it’s important to plan your budget properly.
- Accommodation. Puerto Vallarta has hotels and apartments for all tastes and wallets. Lodging costs can range from $15 a night for a standard room at a budget hotel to $200 a night for a suite at a luxury hotel.
- Food. There are many restaurants and cafes in the city that offer a variety of food and drinks. Food prices can also vary greatly. Lunch at a budget cafe can cost from $4 per person, and dinner at a fine dining restaurant can be as much as $65 per person.
- Entertainment. Puerto Vallarta offers many different types of entertainment, from beach parties to excursions to museums. Prices for entertainment can also vary greatly. Museums and attractions can cost anywhere from $2.50 to $15 per person, and excursions and water activities can cost as much as a few dozen dollars.
- Transportation. There are many cabs and public transportation available to move around the city. Cabs start at $1.5, and bus tickets cost about $0.3.
The final cost of your Puerto Vallarta vacation will depend on the services you choose and your budget. It’s worth planning your budget and expenses in advance to avoid unexpected costs during your trip.
Practical tips and recommendations
Finally, before you go on your Puerto Vallarta vacation, consider some practical tips and advice to help you get the most out of your trip.
- Check your paperwork. Before you travel, make sure you have the necessary documents to travel abroad, including your passport and visa if necessary.
- Currency and Exchange. Puerto Vallarta uses the Mexican peso, but most places also accept U.S. dollars. It is recommended that you exchange dollars for the local currency to get a better exchange rate.
- Climate. The climate in Puerto Vallarta is quite humid and hot, especially during the summer months. Be sure to bring light clothing, sunscreen, and headgear.
- Language. The official language in Mexico is Spanish. However, many Puerto Vallarta residents speak English, especially in tourist areas.
- Safety. Puerto Vallarta is a relatively safe city, but it is still worth taking precautions, especially at night and in areas with many tourists.
- Local traditions and culture. Puerto Vallarta has a rich and interesting history as well as a unique local culture. It is recommended that you study the local traditions and customs in order to better understand and enjoy the local culture.
Following these tips and recommendations will help you get the most out of your Puerto Vallarta vacation and make it unforgettable.
Puerto Vallarta is an amazing city on the Pacific coast that offers many recreational opportunities. Whether you’re looking for a beach vacation, mountain adventures, cultural excursions or shopping, you’ll find everything you need for the perfect vacation in Puerto Vallarta.
Don’t forget that Puerto Vallarta is also a place where you can enjoy the local culture, taste the local cuisine and learn more about local traditions. Use our tips and advice to get the most out of your vacation in this beautiful city.
There are several ways to get to Puerto Vallarta, including flights, buses, trains, and cars. The best way would be to choose your means of transportation depending on your location, budget, and preferences.
There are many beautiful beaches in Puerto Vallarta. Some of the most popular and beautiful are Boca de Tomatlán, Playa Miserecordia and Playa Los Muertos.
The best way to explore the local culture in Puerto Vallarta is to visit local museums, galleries, and cultural events. You can also try the local food, markets and stores to experience the local atmosphere and traditions.
To plan your Puerto Vallarta vacation, it’s a good idea to figure out your budget, choose the right type of accommodations, make reservations and make a list of the sights you’d like to visit.
Puerto Vallarta has many attractions including the Catholic Cathedral, Banderas Bay, the old town, the Malecon Promenade and the Cabañas Cultural Center Museum.